Monday, November 4, 2013

Splitting at the seams


I will update my blog more than once a month! I will! I will!

This outfit and its accompanying accessories and details are quintessentially grad school. And by that I mean this: they are falling apart. 

This dress is a vintage find from an art fair last summer. I cut out most of the lining because it was completely shredded, but there still is some work to be done (like re-hemming the bottom, fixing the collar, sewing up some holes that are forming under the arms, etc.; I knew I should have listened to my grandmother when she tried to teach me how to sew)... but I couldn't resist wearing it on this crisp autumn day. Though it is frayed and worn, it remains a sight to behold.

I think that I also love it because it reminds me of this Dior number that Rachel Weisz wore at Cannes:





You will notice that my left shoe also looks rather ragged. That's because my parents' dog ate it a couple of years back. These Oxfords are an old souvenir from my two months spent in London, so they are well-loved and well-traveled.

Also, there are few things that I wouldn't do for some time to get my hair cut right now. This is the shaggiest it's been since 2010, and I feel like an old English sheepdog.

Some details:




Dress: Vintage, via Ragstock
Tights: Forever 21
Oxfords: Primark

Typewriter Necklace: ALikelyStory at Etsy
Rings: Tres Joli at Etsy and Grandma's class ring
Hairpiece: ???
Nails: CoverGirl Stay Brilliant "VioLast"

Photographs: Hakala Imagery


The first year of grad school is teeming with holes, I think. I am ever-aware of the holes in my knowledge, holes in my budget, and (with my newly embraced single status) holes in my heart. How fortunate am I to be surrounded by family and friends and mentors equipped with all manner of needle and thread to help mend me.

No comments:

Post a Comment