Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Storybook


Today I wanted to steal away into my imagination. 

My sense of invention was one of the things that kept me occupied as a kid and as a teenager. I did a lot of daydreaming then (and now), which is why I often cite my fantastical imagination as the spark that lit my powder keg of prose. I read, and then I wrote about the worlds I read about—for books are so terminal and finite, and they leave so many avenues unexplored. 

I have been thinking about this a lot lately as I have been asked many times by professors to contemplate my "point in the disciplinary landscape:" to think about what has brought me to the field of rhetoric and composition.

As I think about the sense of wonderment that began it all, I also think of my former roommate, Ashley, who has a similar passion for fantasy. Ashley moved to Japan late last summer to start teaching English at a school in the Hokkaido countryside (see her blog about those adventures here), and I miss her monstrously. Today's outfit is inspired by her love for wild, fantastical scenes; it makes me feel like I belong in Hansel and Gretel, or maybe Narnia. I even brought props that Ashley could oft be found curled up in a corner with: a teacup and a well-loved book. 



Blouse: Thrifted
Jumper: Forever 21
Tights: ???
Boots: Forever 21, well-loved (read: falling apart)

Brooch: Painted by my great-aunt
Ring: Grandma's class ring
Nails: Maybelline Express Finish "Minty"
Photos: Hakala Imagery


If you look at previous photos, you'll see that I really do have thumbs! Promise.

Also, I love the pattern and texture on this jumper. The fabric looks like it belongs on some grandmother's couch, along with a couple of cats and a doily or something.


Of course, all these adventures are happening inside my head, but why on earth should that mean that they are not real?

2 comments:

  1. Why indeed~

    (you are so much infinitely cuter than I will ever be, and I'm honored to be mentioned ;3 UGH MISS YOU SO MUCH)

    ReplyDelete